HTA commissioned funding opportunities
The HTA commissioned workstream commissions research proposals that address specific topics or themes, as identified by the HTA boards and panels. There are three rounds a year (opening March, July and October) containing up to 20 separate call topics.
The following commissioning briefs are now available. This page contains all the documents and information you need to complete your proposal form. Please read the instructions carefully.
Primary Research - two stages (HTA expressions of interest to full proposal)
Deadline for applications - 1pm, 21 January 2016
|15/134 - The cost-effectiveness of cascade testing for Familial Hypercholesterolaemia
||21 January 2016, by 1pm
||Access commissioning brief (pdf, 179.51 KB)
||Access guidance notes (pdf, 442.26 KB)
Timelines - initial application to project start
Applications received by 12 May 2015 will be considered at the HTA Funding Board in July 2015. Following the Board meeting, successful first stage applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. Applicants will have eight weeks to complete and submit a full application form, which will then be considered at the following HTA Funding Board in November 2015.
Applications received by 24 September 2015 will be considered at the HTA Funding Board in November 2015. Following the Board meeting, successful first stage applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. Applicants will have eight weeks to complete and submit a full application form, which will then be considered at the following HTA Funding Board in March 2016.
New HTA Expressions of Interest application form
The HTA Programme is pleased to be launching a pilot for a new Expression of Interest (EoI) application form, which is designed to replace the outline proposal form. EoIs will proceed to a funding board, with any short-listed applications invited to proceed directly to a full proposal.
We hosted a webinar on 13 November 2014 presented by Dr Peter Davidson and Dr Martin Ashton-Key, introducing the new Expression of Interest form. You may find this helpful when preparing for your application. Watch the webinar
If you have any feedback on this new form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For help and support using the form, please contact us on 023 8059 5510.
- Application process
- Guidance for shortlisted Commissioning Board applicants (pdf, 86.37 KB)
- Top ten tips for submitting a full proposal (pdf, 79.07 KB)
- Resources for researchers
- Guidance notes for full applications (pdf, 334.02 KB)
- Guidance notes for HTA expressions of interest applications (pdf, 442.26 KB)
- Guidance from the HRA on the specific questions that need answering when considering the design of clinical trials
- Word version of the full Standard Application Form (doc, 504.5 KB)*
- Word version of the HTA expressions of interest (doc, 187 KB)*
*Please note: This document is to be used as a guide and to assist with completion of the on-line application form only; for example, to see how many characters are accepted in each section, and how the printed complete form is laid out. Please do not try to use this as an application form; you must apply using the online form available through the links available when calls are open. You should also refer to the application form guidance notes, which can be found next to the ‘Apply Now’ button.
You may find the following presentations helpful when preparing your application:
- Efficient studies design webinar
- Dr Martin Ashton-Key - presentation on hints and tips for applying for funding
- Professor Hywel Williams - What makes a successful HTA application? How to get funded and tips for success
- Professor Sallie Lamb - What makes a successful HTA project how to complete and deliver your project
- Professor Tom Walley's top tips on applying for NIHR funding
- Professor Dion Morton's top tips on applying for NIHR funding
- Mr Matt Costa's top tips on applying for NIHR funding
- Reviewer assessment form: research proposals (doc, 201.1 KB)
Queries and problems
Our FAQs section provides advice and guidance based on previous queries we have received. You may find this helpful in preparing your proposal.
If you have a query, please contact: HTA Commissioning Team, Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 5510 or +44 (0)23 8059 5621 (24 hour answerphone) Fax No: 023 8059 5639, Email: email@example.com